The tour starts in Vittorio Veneto Square, a beautiful square where you can see an amazing panoramic view of Civita and Sasso Barisano. You can walk through the alleys of the historical centre admiring important artistic and architectonical works and then you can arrive at the panoramic viewpoint of Piazza Duomo.
During the tour, you can visit rock church, cave house and historical cellar.
- Piazza Vittorio Veneto: beautiful square of 1880 where is possible to benefit of an amazing panoramic view of Sasso Barisano.
- Piazza del Sedile: the old political and administrative centre of the town dominated by Palazzo del Sedile.
- Via Duomo: main access road for “Civita” which is delimited by “Porta di Juso” and “Porta di Suso”, two ancient doorways.
- The Cathedral of St. Maria della Bruna: edified in Apulian – Romanesque style, this church rises up on the most high and ancient point of the city, named “Civita”.
- Rock Church of Saint Lucia alle Malve: ancient Benedictine monastery of the IX – X century, where there are frescoes of exquisite workmanship
- Cave-house: typical home of Matera’s rural culture, furnished with antique furniture and tools in order to know customs and traditions of our ancestors.
- Historic cellar of the 15tH century : it is entirely rock-hewn, where is possible to see the tanks for the pressing of the grapes and the underground environments for the must fermentation.
Tour goes on passing through the alleys and the tiny streets of Sassi, natural landscape of various movies such as “The Passion of Christ” by Mel Gibson and “Il Vangelo secondo Matteo” by Pier Paolo Pasolini. At the end of tour It is included a tasting of typical products.
AVAILIBILITY: All days
DURATION OF TOUR: about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
DEPARTURE TIMES: on order
COSTS: a) private guided tour € 90,00 for a couple
b) group guided tour € 30,00 for adult (included over 14 years) – Minimun 4 – Maxim 15 participants for group *Childrens: under 6 years FREE / over 6 years € 5,00
MEETING POINT: Tourist Information Info Matera – Vittorio Veneto Square, 39.
RESERVATIONS: Info Matera – Informazioni Turistiche Matera, Piazza Vittorio Veneto, 39
*The cost includes: authorized guide with regional license tourism, the entrance ticket in the cave-house and in the rock church “St. Lucia alle Malve”, the tasting of typical products and the map of historical centre and of the Sassi.
*Tour can be realized in English, French, Spanish or German Language